Italian Tempeh & Sweet Pepper Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- One 225 gram/8 ounce package of organic tempeh
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth OR water
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Approximately 300 grams/10 ounces pasta (use gluten-free, if desired)
- Handful of basil, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Crumble in the organic tempeh, leaving some larger pieces.
3. Add the garlic and herbs and continue to cook for another 5 or so minutes to allow the organic tempeh to brown slightly.
4. Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth or water and the coconut sugar. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes while you cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
5. Turn off the heat and add the red wine vinegar. Check for seasoning and stir through the cooked pasta.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with basil.