Chickpea Pesto Pasta Salad
For the pesto:
- 2 cups basil leaves (or 1 cup basil and 1 cup arugula, kale, cilantro or parsley)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped (2 cloves, if you prefer more garlic)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the pasta salad:
- 8 ounces penne or fusilli (whole wheat, gluten-free or any other pasta you like)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup chopped arugula (optional)
1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.
2. While the pasta cooks, place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse a few times, and then process till smooth and uniform. Scrape the bowl down and process a little more, adding an extra tablespoon oil, if needed, to thin the pesto.
3. When the pasta is ready, add it to a large mixing bowl along with the chickpeas. Add the pesto and mix everything well. Fold in the arugula, if using, and serve.