Black Bean Burgers
For the burger:
- 1 3/4 cups black beans, cooked and blended
- 1/4 cup rolled oats, mixed
- 1/4 cup roasted chickpeas, seasoned with cayenne, salt and pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 3 teaspoons paprika
Toppings (see below for instructions):
- Roasted eggplant
- Red cabbage slaw
- Pickled red onions
1. To make the burger: Mix together all ingredients and shape into burgers. Then fry on fairly high heat in cooking oil until you get a lovely brown color.
2. Bake in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5-10 minutes, for a little less juicy texture.
3. For the roasted eggplant: Slice one eggplant into thin slices. Dip in olive oil and place on a oven-safe baking tray. Run in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.
4. For the red cabbage slaw: Shred one head of cabbage massaged in lemon, olive oil and salt, to taste.
5. For the pickled red onion: Slice one red onion and massage in juice of one lemon.
6. For the guacamole: Mash one avocado with the juice from half a lemon, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, and salt, to taste.
7. Use your favorite bun or lettuce wraps and place toppings on top of burger patty.