- 1 small sugar pumpkin or other hard winter squash – about 6 cups
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- course sea salt
- black pepper
Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ vanilla bean, sliced in thin strips
- 1 star anise
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Peel, seed and slice squash into 1-inch thick wedges
2. In a mixing bowl, toss in all ingredients, except the bourbon maple glaze, coating the squashes.
3. Place squashes on a baking sheet in one layer, flesh side down. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Flip each squash when golden in color and layer on the pan.
5. Allow to roast for an additional 6 to 8 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
6. Prepare Maple Bourbon Glaze: Place a small sauce pot over medium heat, add all ingredients and bring to a simmer.
7. Once simmering, lower heat to low. Allow to cook for about 10 to 12 minutes to reduce by about 1/3.
8. Remove from heat and serve warm.
9. Serve on a platter and garnish with Maple Bourbon Glaze, if desired.
10. Optional glazing: once you flip squashes, drizzle the maple bourbon glaze over each squash just to coat, and proceed with remaining baking time. Garnish with another drizzle when roasted.
(Note: You will have leftover syrup, but know that it will be perfect on that next whole wheat pancake or French Toast recipe from Crazy Sexy Kitchen.)
Psst… For more delicious plant-powered recipes, pick up a copy of Crazy Sexy Kitchen today!
Photo Credit: Andrew Scrivani