- 1 tablespoon olive oil or spray oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces wild mushroom mix (French horns, Maitake, Hon Shimeji)
- 1 large portobello mushroom, cubed
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 heads baby bok choy, chopped
- One 5-ounce can baby corn, drained and halved (juice reserved)
- One 14-ounce can water chestnuts, sliced (juice reserved)
- 5 tablespoons light organic soy sauce
- 1 star anise
- 3 limes, juiced
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
1. Heat oil in large pot on stove top, on medium high. Add the onion and whole Brussels sprouts and sear for 1 minute, splashing with vegetable broth to slightly steam and blanch.
2. Add ginger and all the mushrooms, mixing together.
3. Add remaining vegetable broth, cooking the mushrooms down a bit and stirring frequently.
4. Add baby bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts, organic soy sauce, and star anise. Bring to a slow simmering boil for a few minutes at most.
5. Before serving, remove star anise and add lime juice, mint, and sesame oil to finish. Serve over your favorite grain or noodles!
Psst… For more delicious plant-powered recipes, pick up a copy of Crazy Sexy Kitchen today!
Photo Credit: Andrew Scrivani