- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock, warmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups pearled/quick cooking farro*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1” pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Zest of 1 fresh lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, heat the stock and keep warm over low heat.
2. In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add farro and cook an additional minute, stirring often. Add salt, pepper and 1 cup of vegetable stock. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until most of stock has been absorbed, about 4-5 minutes. Continue adding the remaining stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently, for approximately 20 minutes, or until farro is cooked through and slightly chewy.
4. Add chopped asparagus and frozen peas with the last addition of stock – let simmer, while stirring frequently, a final 6-7 minutes, or until stock has been absorbed, asparagus is crisp tender and peas are warmed through.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, parsley, and nutritional yeast (if using). Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
*Notes: If using whole farro, be sure to soak farro overnight and drain/rinse when ready to use.
For gluten free option, use 1 ½ cups of short grain brown rice.