- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted quinoa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
Chocolate Sauce (optional):
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment and set aside.
2. Beat together applesauce and almond butter until creamy. Add coconut sugar, vanilla and flax eggs, and beat until combined.
3. Add to quinoa flour, baking soda and salt, mixing until incorporated.
4. Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan. Press it into the corners of the pan using wet hands or a pastry roller. Bake on the center rack for 20 – 24 minutes.
5. If you’re using the chocolate sauce, quickly whisk the ingredients together and set aside until bars are done baking.
6. Let the bars cool in pan completely before topping with chocolate sauce (if using). Transfer to the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes. Slice into bars and enjoy!
7. With chocolate sauce, store the bars in the fridge. If not topping with chocolate, bars can be left at room temperature.