- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups red split lentils, rinsed
- 6-8 cups water
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, to taste
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion and cook until it softens, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and carrots and cook, stirring for a few minutes.
3. Add the lentils, water, sweet potatoes, spices and seasoning. Stir and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in the cilantro or parsley just before serving.