- 2 cups chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped leek
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 green zucchini, sliced into noodles
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced into noodles
- 1/2 cup sunflower sprouts (other options: buckwheat sprouts or pea shoots)
- 1/2 cup thinly julienned red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Prepare Sage Pesto: Remove stems from basil and sage.
2. In food processor, gently pulse basil, sage, leek, pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, and salt until finely minced. Add the oil slowly and in a thin, even stream, pulsing until sauce has reached a coarse consistency.
3. Prepare Squash Pasta: In large bowl, combine green and yellow zucchini noodles with sprouts and bell pepper.
4. In small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the Sage Pesto, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
5. Serve: Slowly spoon the pesto onto the noodles, mix together gently with hands, and serve. If you prefer it lightly sauced, don’t add all the pesto to the mixture. Garnish with fresh basil and/or the Truffled Parmesan, if desired.
Psst… For more delicious plant-powered recipes, pick up a copy of Crazy Sexy Kitchen today!
Photo Credit: Andrew Scrivani