- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- Vegan hamburger buns (gluten free, if required)
1. Pour the chickpeas into a bowl. Use a fork to mash them until they are in small chunks/shreds. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to it’s lowest temperature. Open the buns and place the halves, cut side up, on the center rack (or on a baking sheet). Let them heat up for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat for about one minute. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add the bell pepper and the chickpeas and sauté for about two minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes, until heated through and slightly thickened. If it sticks, add a little water to scrape the pan and lower the heat a bit.
4. Once the buns are warmed and the chickpea mixture is hot, scoop the mixture onto the four buns. Serve while hot. The filling can be kept for about 4 days.