For the Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 1 pound butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (or gluten-free, if desired)
- Salt, to taste
For the Balsamic White Bean Spread:
- 1-14 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices good sandwich bread, optionally toasted
- Arugula, baby spinach or sprouts
1. Roast the Butternut Squash: Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss butternut squash, onion, olive oil and maple syrup until squash and onion are evenly coated. Arrange on baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake 5 minutes more.
2. Make the Balsamic White Bean Spread: While squash bakes, place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Assemble the Sandwiches: Slather one side of each bread slice with balsamic white bean spread. Arrange butternut cubes in an even layer on two slices, top with arugula, baby spinach or sprouts, then with remaining bread slices.