For the salad:
- 2 big handfuls salad greens
- 1 nectarine, stone removed and fruit cut into thin slivers
- 2-3 tablespoons blackberries
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and skinned (for a completely raw salad just skip toasting step)
- Blackberry dressing, a few tablespoons
For the blackberry dressing:
- 1/3 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid sweetener of choice (optional, and probably not necessary if you’re using sweeter berries like strawberries)
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Prepare the dressing first. Whiz listed ingredients up in a blender, pour into a jar or bowl and refrigerate while you prepare the salad.
2. To toast hazelnuts, lay on a baking try and place in a hot (350F/180C) oven for 5-10 minutes, until skins are blistered. Watch closely so they don’t burn. Tip onto a kitchen towel, wrap them up and rub vigorously to remove loose skins. Don’t worry if they don’t come off completely.
3. Place a handful of salad greens on individual plates or in a large bowl, add a layer of nectarine slices and whole berries, scatter over the basil and toasted nuts and finish with a generous drizzle of the dressing.