- 4 ounces uncooked noodles (udon, soba, glass noodles, or rice noodles)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled or unpeeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into small pieces
- 6 ounces fresh, frozen, or canned corn
- One 16-ounce can adzuki beans, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons powdered vegetable stock or equivalent in bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons dried hijiki seaweed
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons mellow white miso
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces firm organic tofu, chopped into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
- Hot or toasted sesame oil, for serving
1. Prepare the noodles according to the directions on the package, drain, and set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, place the sweet potato, green beans, carrot, celery, corn, beans, stock, seaweed, and water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the tahini and miso to make a paste, then set aside.
4. In a small frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and onion and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the curry powder, coriander, and cumin and cook for about 3 minutes, adding just enough water to keep the mixture from burning, until well mixed and the spices are fragrant.
5. Add the noodles, sautéed mixture, tahini/miso mix, tofu, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir gently to incorporate all of the ingredients.
6. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and add several drops of sesame oil in each bowl.
Reprinted from Simple Recipes for Joy by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2014, Sharon Gannon.