Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
- 8 ounces whole wheat or gluten-free pasta (such as shells, penne or rotini)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tightly packed cups kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons tamari
1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the 1 1/2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In a high speed blender, add soaked cashews, cooked mushrooms, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and truffle oil (if using). Blend until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
3. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
4. While pasta is cooking, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in your large saucepan. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, kale, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and tamari, and sauté an additional 3 minutes, or until kale is wilted and tender.
5. Pour creamy mushroom sauce into kale mushroom mixture and heat over low, or until heated through and sauce is slightly thickened.
6. Add drained, hot pasta to saucepan and gently stir to combine, or until pasta is coated with creamy mushroom sauce. Serve immediately.