For the quinoa bites:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1/3 cup cooked corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the chipotle mashed sweet potatoes:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. For the quinoa-bean bites: Rinse the quinoa well then add to a pot with the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Leave covered for at least 10 minutes or longer then fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, mash the beans with a strong fork or whizz in a food processor until fairly well mashed but with some texture. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a large bowl, mix the quinoa, beans and all the remaining ingredients together until well combined.
4. Using moistened hands, shape the mixture into walnut-sized balls and place on baking trays lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake the quinoa-bean bites for approx 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time, or until crispy on the outside.
6. For the chipotle mashed sweet potatoes: Steam the sweet potatoes for approx 15-20 minutes, until very soft.
7. Add the olive oil, chipotle chili powder and salt and mash well with a fork.
8. Serve alongside the chili-quinoa bites or spread on tortillas and top with the bites and your favourite taco fixings.