- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for sautéing and brushing
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cups cooked black beans or one 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/8 cup cornmeal
- 4 whole-wheat buns, toasted 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- 1 onion, sliced (optional)
- Lettuce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
2. Place the sweet potato, 1 tablespoon oil and salt in a bowl and mix well. Spread sweet potato on a baking sheet in an even layer. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
3. Warm a small sauté pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil and the onion. Sauté until the onion is browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Pulse the next 9 ingredients together with the roasted sweet potato and onion in a food processor or stand mixer, being careful not to overmix. Taste for seasoning, then cool in the fridge. Remove after chilled and form six 6-ounce patties.
5. Warm a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan over medium-low heat. Brush pan with oil and lightly brush the burgers. Brown both sides of burgers.
6. Serve on toasted buns and top with your favorite veggies.
Psst… For more delicious plant-powered recipes, pick up a copy of Crazy Sexy Kitchen today!
Photo Credit: Andrew Scrivani