Hiya Kind Hearts,
If you’re part of my Facebook community, you know that I regularly share petitions that have to do with food policy and animal welfare. Often times I’m posting about a breaking undercover investigation by Mercy for Animals (MFA). When I do, I’m always amazed by so many of my loving readers (you!). It only take a few minutes to become a voice for the voiceless and I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your effort and your kindness. Signing, sharing and caring rocks, which is why I’m thrilled about this blog.
Today I’m interviewing one of my absolute heroes, Nathan Runkle, the founder of Mercy for Animals. If you can believe it, Nathan started MFA when he was fifteen years old. FIFTEEN. I’m simply in awe of his vision and dedication. There aren’t many individuals who will stand up to big business and demand change, let alone witness severe suffering and stick with it. And get this, he’s already been doing this work for half his life and he doesn’t show any signs of stopping.
Watch my interview with Nathan Runkle above or download it here and listen on the go. Note: To download the mp3 file right click (or Ctrl+Click on a Mac) on the link and “Save Link As” to save it to your computer.
Mercy for Animals does work that few are brave enough to do, heartbreaking work that pulls back the curtain and shows what’s truly going on in factory farms.
I interviewed Nathan to give you the opportunity to connect with MFA’s amazing mission. I also wanted you to hear first hand that MFA’s advocacy isn’t about convincing the world to go vegan—it’s about passing legislation designed to protect helpless farm animals from a life of abuse and confinement. It’s about pushing for transparency, setting humane standards for all farms, and inspiring more and more individuals to vote with their dollars at the supermarket.
Here’s what we covered in our conversation:
- A behind-the-scenes look at how Mercy For Animals carries out undercover investigations.
- How factory farms impact animals AND the people who work there.
- What everyone should know about ag-gag laws.
- What really happens when you sign an online petition.
- How individuals can make the biggest impact for animal welfare.
- Mercy for Animals’ landmark successes—Hip, hip, hooray!
- If you aren’t 100% plant-based, what you can do to protect animal welfare through food choices.
- If you’re curious about a plant-based diet, learn how to get started (without the overwhelm) at ChooseVeg.com.
- How Nathan prevents burnout despite his high-stress position. (Hint: Self-care to the rescue!)
I hope that you’ll take the time to watch this video and that it moves you and inspires you in some way. Lastly, I want to leave you with this beautiful quote from our interview: