Radical Remission (and Prevention!): 3 Things Survivors Do
Hi Sweet Friends,
Today we’re talking about a subject that’s near and dear to my heart, healing cancer. When I learned about Dr. Kelly Turner, Ph.D.’s book, Radical Remission: Surviving Cancer Against All Odds, I couldn’t wait to do this interview and share Kelly’s research with you all. Kelly has dedicated her career to what she calls radical remission (although I think her work is so universal that it should be called Radical Remission and Prevention!). The research she gathered is not only empowering to those facing a cancer diagnosis, it’s a gift to anyone who wants to lead a healthy, long life.
Watch my interview with Dr. Kelly Turner above or download it here and listen on the go. Note: To download the mp3 file right click (or Ctrl+Click on a Mac) on the link and “Save Link As” to save it to your computer.
Kelly defines radical remission as surviving cancer against all odds.
She’s seen it in cancer patients who have taken three main approaches to healing cancer:
1. People who do not use western medicine.
2. People who use western medicine first, but doctors tell them there’s nothing else they can do for them, and they move on to alternative approaches.
3. People who combine western medicine and integrative approaches simultaneously.
After analyzing 1000 cases and doing over 200 direct, in-depth interviews, Dr. Turner’s biggest takeaway has been that healing is possible at any time. I want to be clear that like me, Dr. Turner is not against western medicine. She believes that every situation is different and that everybody needs a different healing plan tailored to their needs.
When I read Kelly’s New York Times best-selling book, Radical Remission, I couldn’t believe how much it aligned with the diet and lifestyle I’ve been writing about and practicing personally for the past decade. It’s so refreshing and encouraging to see these things deeply researched and documented by someone like Kelly. During this interview we covered three of the nine principles outlined in her book. Keep in mind that this is not a step-by-step plan for healing cancer. Rather, Kelly’s 9 principles are the common threads she discovered while researching people who had experienced radical remission.
3 (of 9!) Principles of Radical Remission
1. Radically changing your diet: Find out what to add and what to remove—I couldn’t agree more! Hint: Hello, plants!
2. Taking herbs and supplements: There is no one-size-fits-all supplement plan, but during our interview Kelly shares the top three kinds of supplements people with radical remission commonly take. Remember, it’s important to find an integrative oncologist, integrative doctor, or certified nutritionist (who has an integrative approach and has worked with cancer patients) to determine your supplement plan. Check out these resources: Institute for Functional Medicine and Society of Integrative Oncology.
3. Deepening your spiritual practice: Learn about the phenomenal power of a daily spiritual practice, whether it’s a walk in nature, meditation or prayer (whatever floats your boat!) can have on your DNA. You may find that mindfulness and spiritual connection has more influence over your health than you ever could have imagined.
I really hope this interview inspired you, regardless if you’re a patient or not. Now it’s your turn: What came up for you after listening to this interview? What were your takeaways?
Peace & radical research,
Grab your FREE Sneak Peek of Crazy Sexy Kitchen here. Recipes included!