- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 1/3 cup shelled hemp seeds or raw pepitas
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped chives
- 1/4 cup flatleaf parsley, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon stemmed and roughly chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon jarred capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon of the caper brine (liquid from jarred capers)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients to a food processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes, or until just shy of smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
2. Serve the pesto over 12 ounces of warm pasta, adding pasta water as needed to thin.
Find more plant-based recipes just like this one in Ashley Melillo’s cookbook, Blissful Basil: Over 100 Plant-Powered Recipes to Unearth Vibrancy, Health, and Happiness.