- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4-8 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch curly kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place cashews and water into blender or small food processor bowl. Blend until very smooth.
2. Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and place over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and kale. Cover and allow kale to steam until fully wilted, about 5 minutes, removing lid and flipping every so often.
3. Remove lid from pot and add cashew milk. Stir a few times to incorporate. Bring to a simmer and lower heat. Allow to simmer, uncovered, until liquid reduces by about half, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in lemon juice. Add flour, a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
*NOTE: For a gluten/grain-free option, skip the flour and reduce the amount of water to about 1/2 cup. You may need to allow the mixture to simmer a few minutes more to thicken up, and in the end it won’t be as smooth, but it will still be tasty.