- 8 green peppers
- 2 tablespoons coconut or grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 package of crumbled tempeh or vegan Italian sausage
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 cup fresh or canned black beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 chili seasoning packet or homemade chili seasoning
- 1/2 cup whole grain rice, orzo, or mini pasta shells
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Toppings: Remaining salsa, one bunch chopped green onions, vegan sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease 13 by 9 inch baking dish with one tablespoon coconut oil.
3. Cut tops off peppers and discard. Remove seeds and place peppers in baking dish.
4. In a nonstick skillet, cook onion and tempeh until browned. Stir in garlic, brown rice, one cup salsa, beans, corn, seasoning packet, rice, water, and cornmeal.
5. Spoon mixture into peppers. Cover and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes or until peppers are tender and heated through. Let stand 15 minutes.
6. Uncover; sprinkle with salsa, green onions, and vegan sour cream.