For the portobellos:
- 2 medium or large portobello mushrooms, washed
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
For the vegan blue cheese:
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 block firm or extra firm organic, non-GMO tofu (I use sprouted tofu)
For the caramelized onions:
- 1 red onion, sliced into ¼-inch thick rings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
Additional ingredients + garnishes:
- 2 hearty burger buns, toasted
1. For the portobellos: Remove the stems of the portobellos. Then, use a spoon to scoop out the gills and discard. Add both portobellos to a large ziploc bag or container.
2. Add the balsamic, chives, shallots, olive oil, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk together. Pour the marinade into the bag and toss to coat the mushrooms.
3. Let the mushrooms marinate for at least 30 minutes, tossing every 10-15 minutes.
4. Heat a grill pan or grill over high heat. Place the mushrooms on the grill and grill for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool slightly.
5. For the vegan blue cheese: While the mushrooms marinate, make the blue cheese by adding the hemp seeds, almond milk, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, tahini and sea salt to a blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes. While the mixture is blending, crumble the tofu in a bowl.
6. Pour the hemp seed mixture over the tofu and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to use.
7. For the caramelized onions: Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and sweetener and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
8. To assemble: Place a portobello on each bun, top with caramelized onions, vegan blue cheese and sprouts. Serve immediately.