- Two 13.5-ounce cans coconut milk
- Two 14.5-ounce cans tomatoes
- 3/4 to 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1-2 teaspoons chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium eggplants (1 1/3 pounds)
- Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 3 teaspoons brown miso paste
- Brown rice, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (convection 350°F).
2. Put the coconut milk, canned tomatoes, grated ginger and chili into a large saucepan with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and allow it to heat until boiling.
3. As it heats up, peel the squash and cut both the squash and the eggplant into bite-size pieces. Add these to the coconut and tomato in the pan.
4. Allow the mixture to cook for about 30 minutes in the oven, at which point add the cilantro and chickpeas to the pan with the miso and place the pan back in the oven for 30 minutes. It’s ready when the squash is soft.
5. Serve the coconut curry with the brown rice. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Excerpted from DELICIOUSLY ELLA by Ella Woodward. Copyright © 2015 by Ella Woodward. Excerpted with permission by Scribner, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Photo credit: Clare Winfield