- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1. Place the almonds in a bowl of room-temperature water; allow to soak for 24 hours, then drain and rinse.
2. In a powerful blender, purée the almonds, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, salt and water until very creamy, 5-7 minutes.
3. Place a triple layer of cheesecloth over a strainer and spoon the cheese mixture into it. Bring up the ends of the cheesecloth, twist the top and squeeze slightly to remove some of the excess liquid; tie the top with a twist tie or elastic. Allow to drain in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 8 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 200 Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Turn the cheese out onto the parchment and shape it into a disk about 3/4-inch thick. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the top is firm and dry. Cool, then chill.
5. When ready to serve, place the cheese on a plate. Top with additional olive oil, sprinkle with herbs, and enjoy.