- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound tempeh, crumbled
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (a 6 oz can)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock or liquid from cooking beans
- 1/2 cup parsley minced
1. Warm the oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
2. Add carrot, garlic, cumin, chile powder, oregano, paprika and black pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add tempeh and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
5. Add beans, corn, salt and stock. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer. Simmer until heated throughout.
6. Mix in parsley just before serving.