- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large sweet white onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped dinosaur kale
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Nature’s Path Qi’a Superfood Cereal, finely crushed (or any gluten-free cereal)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Lay the sweet potatoes on one baking sheet and the onion slices in a single layer on the other baking sheet. Poke holes using a fork in the sweet potato. Then rub 1 tablespoon of oil on the onion slices and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Take the remaining 1 tablespoon in your hands and rub it on the two sweet potatoes to coat the potatoes. Bake the onions for 30 minutes or until golden brown; remove from the oven. Bake the sweet potatoes for 40 minutes or until very tender to touch; remove from the oven.
3. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool for 10 minutes, then slice them lengthwise with a sharp knife. Stuff each sweet potato with the cabbage, kale, bell pepper, tomatoes, crushed cereal crumbs, scallion and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Drizzle additional oil over the sweet potatoes, if desired for serving.
Recipe from EATING CLEAN: THE 21-DAY PLAN TO DETOX, FIGHT INFLAMMATION, AND RESET YOUR BODY, an inspiring journey of healing from a decade of chronic illness with food and functional medicine, by Amie Valpone.