- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 8 baby figs
- 4 heaped cups of baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries
- 2-3 small, cooked beetroot
- 1 cup radish and alfalfa sprouts
- Handful of fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
1. Heat a cast iron pan or heavy bottomed frying pan over a medium heat. Add the macadamia nuts and stir constantly until they are lightly toasted and golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat up a griddle pan to high heat and lightly brush with olive oil. While it is heating, cut the figs into halves. Griddle each of the baby fig halves (cut side down) for a couple of minutes, until they just start to caramelize. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Now we’re ready to assemble the salad.
3. Wash the baby spinach, giving it a shake to remove any excess water. Add the spinach to a large salad bowl along with the fresh basil leaves.
4. To prepare the rest of the salad, first cut the strawberries into halves. Peel the cooked beetroot (you can also use the cooked vacuum packed beetroot that is already peeled) and slice them into thin rounds. Add these to the salad bowl, along with the strawberries, macadamia nuts, griddle figs, alfalfa and radish sprouts.
5. To make the dressing, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to a small bowl and lightly whisk to mix, or shake everything together in a jar. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and mix well with a pair of salad tongs.