- 1 heaping cup large-diced (about 1/2-inch pieces) fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice cubes, to taste (to cool)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 15 minutes and drained
- 3 soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
Crushed Cashew “Crust” Topping (Optional but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/8 scant teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
For the Smoothie
1. In a medium saucepan, stir together the strawberries, rhubarb, maple syrup and cardamom over medium-low heat. Rapidly simmer for 3 minutes or until the juices release and the fruit begins to soften. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the fruit is very tender and begins to fall apart, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
2. Add the strawberry-rhubarb mixture, almond milk, ice, cashews, dates, lemon juice, vanilla and sea salt to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy.
For the Cashew Streusel Topping (Optional)
1. Prepare the topping while the strawberry-rhubarb mixture is cooking. In a small food processor, combine the raw cashews, coconut sugar, and sea salt; and process for 10 seconds or until the mixture takes on a fine streusel texture.
1. Pour the smoothie into two glasses and top with as much of the cashew “crust” topping as desired. Serve immediately.