For the macaroons:
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup pitted soft Medjool dates (if they are not soft, soak them in filtered water and drain well before using in the recipe)
- 2 tablespoons raw walnut butter
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the raw chocolate:
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup raw cacao butter warmed to liquid (or coconut oil may be used instead)
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
1. Place 3/4 cup coconut, dates, walnut butter and vanilla and sea salt in the food processor and process until smooth and well combined. Add cacao powder and remaining 3/4 cup coconut and pulse until the mixture holds together. Form mixture into 12 balls and stick a clove into the top of each. Place in the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
2. To make the chocolate, whisk together all ingredients until smooth, in a small bowl. Lay out a piece of parchment, and line up the macaroons on it. Drizzle the macaroons with the chocolate (I like to put it in a plastic bag, and cut off the corner and squeeze it out to drizzle it). Allow the chocolate to set (which will happen faster if you place them in the freezer for about 5 minutes).
3. Store extra macaroons in the fridge.