- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2/3 cup packed and pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raw shelled pistachios
- 1 cup packed and pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon crushed raw pistachios
For the Cannoli Filling:
1. Soak the cashews and dates in hot water for 30 minutes to soften; drain.
2. Add the soaked cashews and dates, filtered water, lemon juice, almond extract and cinnamon to a food processor. Process for 6–8 minutes, or until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. The texture should resemble a thick frosting.
For the Pistachio Crust:
1. Line a 5 x 10-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. Add the pistachios and dates to a food processor, pulse 10 times, and then process until the mixture begins to clump together, adding more dates if needed. It should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
3. Scoop the crust mixture into the lined pan and use your hands to press and compact it into an even layer.
1. Pour the filling over the crust and smooth out with a spatula. Sprinkle with the cacao nibs and chopped pistachios.
2. Freeze for 2 hours to set. Once set, gently lift out of the pan and slice into bars. Store the bars in the refrigerator to maintain optimal texture.
Find more plant-based recipes just like this one in Ashley Melillo’s cookbook, Blissful Basil: Over 100 Plant-Powered Recipes to Unearth Vibrancy, Health, and Happiness.