- 1/4 cup brown lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 6 zucchini, medium-large, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, medium
- 2 cloves of garlic, large
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + some for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lemon, fresh juice
1. Rinse and soak the lentils overnight.
2. Boil the lentils in 2 cups of water for 15-20 mins, or until al dente.
3. Drain the lentils, rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking further and set aside.
4. At the same time, in a separate pot, cook the quinoa in 1 cup of water. Once it boils, turn the heat to low and cover until all the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
5. Position a rack in the top of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
6. Using a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon, scoop out the center of the zucchini leaving a 1/4 inch border on all sides. Rub 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over all the zucchini boats. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place the zucchini boats on the grease proof paper tray, skin side down and set aside.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan or skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste), cumin and coriander. Stir well for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the quinoa and lentils along with the red pepper flakes and mix well.
9. Divide the mixture into the prepared zucchini boats.
10. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the cooked boats and serve whilst hot.