RecipesSUBMIT YOUR RECIPE!
Lemony Lentil & Kale Rice Bowl
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dry lentils, washed and sorted
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 3 carrots, washed, peeled, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, washed, seeds removed, diced
- 1 onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 bunch kale (approx. 1 lb), stems removed, washed, torn into pieces
- 1 can whole organic tomatoes
- 2 cups good quality vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, cover, turn down heat and let cook for approximately 35 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add onions, garlic, carrots and red pepper and sauté for approximately 10 minutes.
4. Pour in the can of tomatoes and vegetable stock. Add your spices and stir.
5. Bring to a boil, then pour in the lentils. Turn heat down to low, cover the pot and allow to cook for approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
6. Add the kale to the lentil mixture. Stir and let the kale wilt to your liking. It will only take a few minutes.
7. Add lemon juice. Stir.
8. Do a taste test. Add a pinch more of sea salt or black pepper if desired.
9. To assemble: spoon rice into a bowl, top with kale and lentil mixture. Enjoy!Print Recipe