- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup light spelt flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted but not hot (or grape seed oil)
- 2 very ripe bananas (total of 1 cup smashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts (optional)
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a muffin pan with liners or parchment paper sheets.
2. In a medium bowl, mix ground flax seeds with warm water and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Back in the bowl with the flax seeds; smash the bananas into the flax seeds, add sugar, oil, vanilla extract and mix well.
5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
6. Add in the hemp seeds and stir to combine.
7. Scoop into the muffin pan evenly.
8. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry and clean.
9. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.