- 2 cups organic raw whole rolled oats*
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) organic mashed pumpkin (from a can is OK)
- 1 small ripe banana, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons grade B maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice**
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with a natural olive oil or canola oil cooking spray.
2. Combine pumpkin, banana, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix on high with a hand mixer until mostly smooth, about two minutes. Fold in the oats, almonds and flax using a large wooded spoon until the mixture is uniform.
3. Form 6 large cookies and bake for 14-16 minutes until set. They will stay soft but hold together well.
4. Let cool 10 minutes before eating. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This recipe also works well if you make 12 small cookies of equal size and bake for 11-13 minutes.
*Oats are gluten-free by nature, but some are processed in plants that also process gluten-containing ingredients. Read the package instructions for more info and, if necessary, buy oats that are certified to not contain gluten.
** Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove. I recommend buying the blend at your local natural grocer (it’s inexpensive and contains proper proportions), or you can make your own if you’d like.