- 1 ½ cups cooked brown lentils, cooled and drained
- ¼ cup sliced green onions, green part only
- 1 cup packed thinly sliced baby spinach
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or umeboshi vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, green onions, spinach, tomatoes, olives and walnuts. Mix well with a wooden spoon and set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk together. Pour over the lentil salad and mix well.
3. Allow the salad to set at room temperature for at least 20 minutes, stirring a few times before serving. Alternatively, refrigerate in an airtight container for at least and hour hours before serving.
4. Refrigerate for up to three days for picnics and lunch leftovers.