- 3 large fresh beets with beet greens
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- Juice 1 lime
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (for sickness or detox only)
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Wash the beets and remove the top and root. Leaving the skins on, slice the beets in 1″ sections. Make sure they are small enough to fit onto a spoon, but large enough that you feel their hearty flavor.
2. Wash the beet greens well and gather them in a bundle stacked on top of each other. Slice in 1″ ribbon sections crosswise.
3. Wash the celery and chop into 1/2″ pieces.
4. Wash the cilantro, gather in a bundle and chop in 1/4″ pieces (including the stems). Make sure you can still see some whole cilantro leaves intact.
5. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil on medium heat.
6. Add the celery and sauté for a minute or two until the color brightens.
7. Add the sliced beets and repeat. Squeeze the lime juice into the beets and celery and stir.
8. Now add the water, apple cider vinegar and whole peeled garlic cloves (if sick or detoxing) and bring to a boil.
9. Add the beet greens and cilantro and simmer for only three minutes. Turn off the flame and adjust the seasonings with Celtic sea salt, and cayenne (optional).
Reprinted from The Plantpower Way by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2015, Rich Roll & Julie Piatt.