- 4 carrots, cut into bun lengths
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1/2 clove garlic, minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Pepper, to taste
- Toasted hot dog bun, lettuce or collard leaves, to serve
1. Heat water in a pot large enough for all the carrots.
2. When it comes to a boil, turn down to medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until you can just pierce them through with a fork; you want them to have a snap when you bite into them.
3. Remove from pot and run cold water over them to stop them from cooking.
4. In a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients to make the marinade.
5. Tighten the lid and shake until well mixed.
6. Place the carrots in a container in which they can lie flat. Pour the marinade over them and marinate at least 3 to 4 hours (up to 24 hours). The longer they marinate, the more vinegar flavor they take on. If you know you need to leave them longer than a day, cut the vinegar to 1/8 cup. If the carrots are very skinny, keep the marinating time short.
7. To serve, heat the carrots in a 350°F oven, or in a grill pan on a hot grill, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Serve in a toasted hot dog bun or wrapped in a lettuce or collard leaf, and pile on your favorite toppings.