- 2 large sweet potatoes, pealed and chopped into thumb-sized pieces
- 150 grams (0.6 cups) red split lentils
- One 14-ounce tin kidney beans
- 3 cups of oats
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder (or two vegetable stock cubes)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 portobello mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons hummus
- Baby lettuce leaves
- Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Start by putting the lentils and sweet potato in a pan. Cover with double the volume of water and stir in the stock bouillon powder or cube to dissolve. Bring to a boil and cook for around 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft and the lentils still have a little bit of bite. Leave them to drain so you loose as much water as possible.
2. Wash, peal and de-stem the mushrooms and place on a roasting tray with some olive oil. Place in oven to roast for 25 minutes.
3. Mash the red kidney beans in a big mixing bowl. Add the lentils and sweet potatoes and mash again until it’s all combined, but still a little chunky! Season well. Now stir in the oats well until you have a mixture you can shape in your hands. If you’ve over-mashed, you may need to add more than stated in the recipe.
4. Shape 6 patties out from the mixture. In a frying pan, add a little olive or coconut oil and cook three at a time for 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the rest. Put them on a roasting tray in the oven and continue to cook until everything else is ready.
5. Before you serve, add a dollop of hummus on 6 of the portobello mushrooms (on the inside) and put back in the oven for 3 minutes to melt. Then, your good to go. Compile with some lettuce leaves, avocado or plum tomatoes & enjoy!