- 3 large beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add ginger and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add vegetable stock and beets and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and let simmer for approx. 20-30 minutes or until beets are tender.
3. Using a handheld blender, purée the soup. Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and stir.
4. Serve in bowls and garnish with toasted shredded coconut. Enjoy with kamut or whole grain bread.