RecipesSUBMIT YOUR RECIPE!
Baked Mac N Cheeze
Yield: 6 servings
*Can be made gluten-free by subbing gluten-free elbow pasta and brown rice flour
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni (I use Eden Kamut Elbows)*
- 2 cups unsweetened soy, rice, hemp, or nut milk
- 3 tablespoons flour*
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (I use Red Star brand)
- 2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (I use soy-free Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon of arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons yellow or chickpea miso paste
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (I used Daiya cheddar shreds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
3. While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, whisk the milk and flour together over medium heat. Add the nutritional yeast flakes, mustard, garlic powder, paprika and turmeric. Add and melt the butter while stirring. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Place the tofu and arrowroot or cornstarch in a blender and puree until smooth. Whisk the tofu into the simmering milk mixture until smooth.
5. Remove the pot from heat. Combine the miso paste and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and whisk to remove any lumps. Add to the milk mixture and combine.
6. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Fold the pasta into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish.
8. To make topping, melt the butter in a sautee pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the pasta with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.
(This is made even more delicious when you sprinkle the top with ume-shiso powder, found in the Macrobiotic/Asian/sea vegetable section of your health food store.)Print Recipe
Get tasty & nourishing recipes straight to your inbox every week!