Hi Sweet Friends,
A couple weeks ago, team Crazy Sexy gathered for four days of dreaming, planning, budgeting (look Ma, I’m a grown-up!), and unicorn card reading–a business brainstorm must. The majority of my stellar staff are ambitious and highly conscious women, so self-care is a huge conversation for us. We know that the more we care for ourselves, the better we feel and thus the more creative we are at our jobs. And I won’t lie–we all want to look fabulous!
So while chatting over green juice one morning, I asked my team for their favorite non-toxic product recommendations. Our newest staffer squirmed in her seat. Turns out she adores makeup and skincare but is clueless about not non-toxic brands. When I asked how many lotions and potions she uses, she tallied over 30 products in her daily regimen! Like most women, none of the products in her regular regime were healthy.
The challenge we face today is that healthy products are not the norm. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG):
“The average woman uses 12 products containing 168 different ingredients daily. Many cosmetic chemicals are designed to penetrate into the skin’s inner layers, and they do. Consequently, some common cosmetic ingredients turn up in people’s bodies. Among them: industrial plasticizers called phthalates; parabens, which are preservatives; and persistent fragrance components like musk xylene.”
Pause for a moment and count how many personal care products you’re using. I’m talking about everything from your makeup bag to your shower rack. Surprised? Now, read the ingredient labels on those products. Even better, look them up at EWG’s Skin Deep database and see how they rate for things like cancer, immunotoxicity and reproductive toxicity. Do those same products feel sexy now? If not, you’re certainly not alone.
Fast forward to that evening. It was time to do some detective work with my gals. We dumped our products onto my bathroom counter and started sleuthing. Turns out, this wellness crew had some work to do (myself included!). That’s why I gave my Crazy Sexy gals gift certificates for Annmarie Gianni’s skincare line and I also asked Annmarie if she’d do a Crazy Sexy giveaway for YOU this month. She said yes–woot!
It’s no secret that Annmarie’s skincare line is my favorite. If you don’t know her stuff, you’re gonna love exploring. I use Annmarie’s Aloe Herb Facial Cleanser and Anti-Aging Facial Oil every morning and night. Not only do these two products help keep my skin blemish-free and moisturized, they take me on an aromatherapy adventure every time I use them.
(If you’d like to check out Annmarie’s product line right away, go here.)
You might be feeling like you just don’t want to know. You’ve been using the same moisturizer, shower gel and toner for a decade and they work—end of story. If that’s your mentality, I hope you’ll reconsider. Slowly making more conscious choices is not only empowering, it’s an investment in your longevity and everyday health. These chemicals are serious. We don’t know their long-term effects and we can’t rely on companies to look out for our health.
5 Tips for TRUE self-care (ya know, minus the yucky stuff)
1. Cut down on the number of products you use each day. Sometimes, cutting down on your body burden is simple as simplifying your beauty routine a few days a week. Less is more!
2. Choose one day a week to wear zero (or very little!) makeup. You are stunning. Period.
3. Do your research and swap out one product per month. You don’t need to throw everything away and buy a completely new shower, makeup and skincare line this week. Choose an item that’s almost gone and look for a better alternative. Natural beauty blogs often have great advice (hello, Google). Check out the Skin Deep database and read reviews online. If women use 12 products per day on average, you could have a whole new healthy personal care regimen by this summer/fall.
4. Learn the basics and become a label detective. Don’t worry about memorizing every chemical. EWG has created this handy list of the top ingredients to avoid for women, men and kids. Print it out and keep it with you. (This is also great for those of you who don’t have a smartphone. But if you DO have one, don’t miss EWG’s Skin Deep app.)
5. Choose safe sunscreen this Spring. We’re all going to be buying sunscreen and heading outside this season (right?), so why not choose wisely? Check out my sunscreen blog from last year for tons of tips! Also, Annmarie Gianni just released her own line of sunscreens. Check ‘em out here.