Hi Sweet Friends,
I recently had the pleasure of speaking with Laurie David, producer of the Academy Award-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth and the new must-see, much-talked about film, Fed Up. This movie puts you in the shoes of obese children in America. It’s the closest we’ll get to understanding their daily struggles and why the government and the food industry have put their bottom line before our health. But most importantly, Fed Up shows us what we can do to take back our power to eat well. Watch the trailer below.
My conversation with Laurie really got me riled up and I know it will inspire and motivate you too. There’s still time to see it in the theaters. Find out if it’s playing near you and watch it with your whole family.
Listen to the interview
- Having trouble listening? Simply download the audio here (Right click the link and click Save Link As).
- Note for iPhone and iPad users: Streaming requires fast internet connection. For best experience, download using a laptop or desktop computer then transfer files to your iOS device.
- Want to read the interview? Download the transcript here.
Laurie is incredibly passionate about changing the way we think about food—in the store, at our dinner tables and in the voting booth. She’s also deeply dedicated to encouraging something near and dear to my heart—cooking, which happens to be the subject of her latest book, The Family Cooks.
This cookbook teaches families the value of home-cooked, whole foods meals shared around a table with the people you love. And I was thrilled to see that plant-based recipes are the rule, rather than the exception. It was valuable to read Laurie’s section on decoding labels. She addresses the many misnomers plastered on food packaging today, including grass-fed, cage-free, sustainable, natural, trans-fat free, and the list goes on. The more we know what these words mean, the more we can support what aligns with our principles and skip the rest.
She’s a real firecracker (my kind of gal). I absolutely love Laurie’s motto—talk about a slogan for prevention!
Listen to the audio above or read the transcript to get the full scoop on:
1. Why you need to see Fed Up before you take another bite. If you think you know what we’re eating as a country and why it’s making everyone sick, trust me, there’s more to the story. Let’s get Fed Up together and change how we shop, how we eat and how we feed our families.
2. The shocking truths Laurie learned during the making of Fed Up. Find out what the government and food industry knew about the American diet 30 years ago and why they turned the other way (and still haven’t looked back).
3. How much sugar we should be eating and how much sugar an average American is actually consuming. Get the answers and find out how this sweet substance is shaping our health as a country today.
4. What you can do to become an empowered, educated consumer at the grocery store. Get Laurie’s three tips for becoming a smart shopper: complain more, become a label sleuth and start making this one common condiment from scratch pronto.